Spring Convention/International Prelims
This convention has two major components:
One is to pick the quartets – both ‘Open’ and ‘College’ quartets – that go to the International competition in July. (This is different from the Quartet District Championship which happens at the Fall convention)
The other component is the District Chorus Championship and the District Senior Quartet Championship. The Chorus Championships are currently contested in 4 ‘plateau’ levels based on previous contest results.
This Convention is held in April, at a location that can change from year to year.
To summarize, here are the competitions you can expect to see at this Convention:
– Open Quartet International qualifying
– College Quartet International qualifying
– District Senior Quartet Championship (Senior Quartet qualifying to MidWinter Convention happens at the Fall Convention)
– District Chorus Championships – 4 Plateaus (Chorus International qualifying is also in the Fall)
– High-School Quartet: The top-scoring high-school competitors have the honor of being declared JAD High-School champs for the current year.
2014 Spring Convention/International Prelims Information
Date: April 10-11, 2015
For the competitors:
Chorus members should arrive at the School dressed for stage, and will be directed to their ready rooms by host personnel.
Classrooms will be available at the school for use by the choruses and quartets. Please refer to your time schedule after the draw for your scheduled time of use.
Competitor Registration Fee:
$35.00 per man, chorus and/or quartet (Fee per man covers both quartet and chorus competitor fees).
how to register
If you are wanting to compete there are four things you must do:
1) Make sure your group is ‘official’ with BHS. Choruses are done – being part of an official chapter. Quartets (Regular, Seniors, AND College quartets) must be registered as official quartets with BHS. Call 800-876-7464 if you require assistance in registering or renewing your quartet.
2) Make sure all of the members of your group (except for guys only singing in a College quartet) are paid up members of the BHS
3) Register your group for the contest:
– To enter the Quartet International Preliminary Contest, District Chorus Championship, or District Senior Quartet Championship please visit the Barbershop Harmony Society website and complete the appropriate CJ-20 forms. Look under the “Competitions” tab and find “Contest Entry”. Choruses will also be asked to fill out a competition roster with members’ names for name badge purposes.
– To register a College quartet you should contact BHS headquarters at email@example.com or go to this website: http://barbershop.org/
– High School Quartets please contact Kameron Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
4) Buy a registration for every member of your group (but just one registration per man – even if he is competing in multiple groups). You can use the on-line payment process or send a check to VP C&J Dave Rubin at:
1693 Hanover St
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
The cost is $35 per competitor, checks made out to “Johnny Appleseed District” and RECEIVED by Dave by April 1.
Guys competing ONLY with a College quartet pay $15 for the entire quartet to get your tickets (not $35 per guy).
If you have further questions please contact Dave Rubin (JAD VP of Contest and Judging) at email@example.com or 216/403-2289
Chorus Individual Competitor Registration
Each chorus will receive a link to a Google Spreadsheet where they will be able to upload the information for each competitor once their official Society registration has been received.
- All-Events: $35.00
- Single Event: $20.00
- Student 17 & younger: $ 5.00
- College Student (age 18-24): $15.00
Competitor Payment by check (Competitors ONLY)
Make checks payable to:
Johnny Appleseed District
1693 Hanover St
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
Checks must be mailed by April 1st.
Schedule of Events:
Headquarters Hotel Following Contest Events all weekend:
- District President Hospitality Room (Friday night)
- Hospitality Rooms (Saturday night)
- Contest times are subject to change to accommodate volume of registered competitors. Check the JAD web site for any changes.
- Questions concerning contest registration need to be directed to David Rubin, VP C&J
- Questions concerning convention or convention facilities need to be directed to Greg Swann, VP Events, or Steve Sommer, Convention Manager.
- Non-Competitor registrations will be available online in advance and at the door.
NOTE: CHANGES OR ADDITIONS MAYBE MADE TO THIS INFORMATION AS CONVENTION PLANS ARE FINALIZED. CHECK THE JAD WEBSITE FREQUENTLY FOR UPDATES.